Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Week One: Check!

To begin this post, I want to talk to you about my morning "commute."

After breakfast, I leave my cabin and start off down this trail:


to the main campus.

The walk takes about 10 minutes, is beautiful and contains no sort of lighting to show you the way.

On Monday night, I began my Wilderness First Aid training with a CPR class. It ended around 9:30 and we had to walk back in the darkness.  I was with a group of people so I wasn't legitimately scared but I was mildly...um...freaking out.

I have never had to rely on my eyes quite like that before. The forest became a different place and it was very interesting to see how my eyes tried to adjust to find the most light.

Needless to say, I eventually made it home and continued my First Aid training the next day.

We finished today and I now truly believe I would be a very safe person to hike with. The class was very fun and interactive. After learning and practicing skills in the classroom, we were sent out to save some lives.  We dealt with kayakers who had flipped over and hit their heads and hikers that were the unfortunate victims of a rock fall.  The final test was a "Round Robin" where 10 people with different ailments were around a field and the trainees had to figure out what was going on with each of them.

I was feeling pretty confident about my skills at this point so I played a bratty teenage girl with abdominal problems.  It was a little scary how easy it was to act like a snooty 16 year old...

Yesterday was the first rainy day since my arrival and, to be honest, it was pretty nice.  Apparently, it was a little more heavy than is usual for this time of year but I thought it was pretty refreshing.  We ended up having a sunny afternoon today so it was a nice primer for this region's weather.

Tomorrow is "Natural History Day" and we are going to be learning in depth about the Island and what goes on here. I am really excited to increase my knowledge of nature because (lets be honest) it may not be my strong suit.

Tonight, a few of the other "True Blood" fans and I are going to catch up on some episodes we have missed. Those sassy vampires- always getting into trouble.


Obligatory True Blood Awesome Clip

No comments:

Post a Comment