Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seeing it all put together...

This past week was beyond exciting.

After all of the training and talk, we finally got to see kids LEARNING!

Students from three different elementary schools came last Monday.  The new grads (like me) observed either a grad from last year or a staff member instructing.  It was so great to see all of the cool places around here put to use!

We have one final week of training and then half of us will begin teaching the following week.  I can't wait to get going!

In order to give you a better idea of how cool this place actually is, I wandered around campus today and took a lot of pictures.  Imagine being a 5th grader and wandering these trails.  Soooo magical!

This is the main area of campus. You are looking at the Great Hall/Admin Building.
One of the lodges the kids stay in. They are so awesome.

The Living Machine: Where not-so-nice things are converted to nice things!

The Art Studio

The Main Campus Garden

Inside of the Main Campus Garden

The Friendship Circle where we meet every morning and have a Campfire the final evening

Treehouse Classroom (!!!)
The Learning Tree
The Floating Classroom (The kids use the hand cranks to take it out on the pond)

Suspension Bridge

The Canopy Tower
You can imagine that the kids who come here think this place is pretty cool. 

The grad that I observed teach was, to put it simply; awesome.  The kids loved learning from him and he had a very cool way of managing those little 10-year-old brains.   If I can be 1/10 as awesome as he was, I should be good.

It was so great to actually see kids on campus.  After all of the training and discussion, it can be easy to forget that this whole thing is for them.

This week is going to be intense but it will all be worth it.  See you on the other side!!

3 comments:

  1. Gee Bonnie, this place looks awesome and quite luxurious compared to most nature camps that our family has been to. Are the campers private or are they sent by school districts? Where does the money come from? Just curious! No job 1 1/2 years after my MAT. Subbing again! Looking forward to seeing your parents next month. Have fun with camp; it looks like heaven!

    Your Mom's cousin, Sue
    (or your second cousin or your cousin once removed or something like that!)

    PS: Deer have invaded our neighborhood this year. I've gone from thinking they're sweet and picturesque to thinking of them as a nuisance (although not as bad as rodents!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are incredible. I'm so excited for you Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely in your element Bonnie. The excitement builds with each entry. I am thoroughly enjoying following your adventure. The students are lucky to have such a gifted teacher on the island. Let me know when the 'senior' weekend registration is.

    ReplyDelete