Saturday, August 28, 2010

A New Community

August 28, 2009 Bonnie was in a very different place than August 28, 2010 Bonnie.

This past week has really been a blur.  The staff at IslandWood has been working very hard to help us develop a sense of place.  We have had a few days of exploration on the main campus and the trails around the property.

On Wednesday, the annual IslandWood Staff picnic occurred and we had tasty tasty food prepared by the kitchen, played some games and experienced the Forrest Chorus (IslandWood's brand new chorus of which I hope to become a member). 

We spent the afternoon on the Teams Course and yesterday, after getting our gear, were sent out in small groups with a staff member to learn about the secrets of the campus.  The exploring ended at the Executive Director's house where a fireside dinner was waiting.

Everyone that works here is awesome. They all truly believe in the mission and have made all of us feel genuinely welcome.

Life, in general, is very good.

There are some things, however, that take some getting used to:

1.) Cold.
       Ok- it isn't that cold here yet but for a desert girl...it might as well be an igloo out there. I know I will get used to it eventually but GEEZ.

2.) Spiders (and bugs in general)
       I never realized how lucky AZ people have it.  Apparently, there are a lot of bugs in the world. And they don't care that you are not a fan of them. They will just go wherever their little hearts please.

3.) Breakfast with 14 other people.
       Admittedly, it is 14 other awesome people but I am just plain not used to talking very much in the morning. Each day is getting better and better however.


Speaking of breakfast- have you experienced Quaker Oats Oatmeal Squares cereal? If you haven't- please go to your local grocer and pick some up IMMEDIATELY. One of the other Grads recommended them and they are easily my new favorite cereal.*

Things that are incredibly awesome:

1.) Nice weather during the day!
       A summer in DC then Phoenix made me forget that nice weather exists. It is very real, and it is in the Pacific Northwest.  The days have been amazingly beautiful.  (For my opinion of the mornings, evenings, and nights, please see above)

2.) Amazing landscape
      This island and surrounding area is beautiful.  We drove over to the Olympic peninsula today to do some shopping and it is just amazing how green and stunning the landscape is.

3.) The people!
        Just last night, another grad and I were talking about how great it is that we are a large group of very different people but everyone gets along and is just plain interested in learning about each other.  It is very fun and pretty exciting to know that we are going to be going through this experience together.

Headed to a potluck tonight and planning on exploring some of the beaches on the island tomorrow. I am going to try to remember my camera this week so I can share what the rest of the campus looks like.  TRY being the key word.


*I am pretty sure that since this is on the internet and I am sure thousands of people will now run out and buy this cereal, Quaker owes me a check or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment